Bankruptcy is a term that is often thrown around. However, if you are considering filing for bankruptcy, you may find that it is a more complex concept than you once thought. There are many different steps to this process, beginning with filing bankruptcy forms. Contact our skilled New York bankruptcy attorneys today to learn more about how to file and where you can find the forms.
Where can I find the bankruptcy forms I need in New York?
Copies of the official bankruptcy forms can be found at www.uscourts.gov/forms/bankruptcy-forms. Also, your local bankruptcy court may ask you to file more forms in addition to the official forms that every bankruptcy court uses.
How do I file the forms?
If you are representing yourself in your case, you must file the bankruptcy forms in person at the bankruptcy court. If you retain an attorney to represent you, they will be able to prepare the necessary forms for your review and signature, and then they will be file the forms electronically to the court.
Where do I file the forms?
There are certain rules you must follow when filing for bankruptcy. It is imperative that you file in the correct place to avoid complications. If you are filing for bankruptcy, you may file in:
- The district where you have been living for the greater part of the 180-day period before you file
- The district where you are domiciled: where you maintain your home, even if you have been living elsewhere temporarily
Should I retain an attorney?
Although you are able to represent yourself when filing for bankruptcy, it is in your best interest to retain an experienced lawyer. The process for filing for bankruptcy can be an overwhelming and complex process. A skilled attorney can help you navigate through it by:
- Advising you on whether to file a bankruptcy petition.
- Advising you under which chapter to file.
- Advising you on whether your debts can be discharged.
- Advising you on whether or not you will be able to keep your home, car, or other property after you file.
- Advising you of the tax consequences of filing.
- Advising you on whether you should continue to pay creditors.
- Explaining bankruptcy law and procedures to you.
- Helping you complete and file forms.
- Assisting you with most aspects of your bankruptcy case.
If you are filing for bankruptcy, reach out to our dedicated firm today to learn more and discuss your options. Our seasoned legal team is committed to making this process as easy as possible for you.
CONTACT A BANKRUPTCY LAWYER TO DISCUSS YOUR DEBT OR COLLECTION ISSUE
Michael D. Pinsky, P.C. represents clients in bankruptcy actions and related matters. Please call 845-394-2616 or contact the firm online to schedule a consultation.