Search Site
I have a power of attorney for [insert here]. Can I file a case for him/her?

Bankruptcy Rule 1004.1 permits a fiduciary to file a bankruptcy case on behalf of a minor or someone who is incapacitated. Here is the rule:

“If an infant or incompetent person has a representative, including a general guardian, committee, conservator, or similar fiduciary, the representative may file a voluntary petition on behalf of the infant or incompetent person. An infant or incompetent person who does not have a duly appointed representative may file a voluntary petition by next friend or guardian ad litem. The court shall appoint a guardian ad litem for an infant or incompetent person who is a debtor and is not otherwise represented or shall make any other order to protect the infant or incompetent debtor.”


Although not specifically mentioned, the courts have held that an attorney-in-fact (the name given to the holder of a power of attorney) with the express authority for their principal’s financial affairs and to file or defend legal proceedings may file for a minor or one who is mentally incapacitated (incompetent).

The attorney-in-fact may also appear and testify on the minor or incompetent’s behalf in the bankruptcy case.




Contact us

Please fill out the form below and one of our attorneys will contact you.

Quick Contact Form

How Does Bankruptcy Help?
Our Office
  • Newburgh Office
    372 Fullerton Avenue
    Suite 11
    Newburgh, New York 12550
    Phone: 845-245-6001