What if I Can’t Afford my Bankruptcy Filing Fee?

When it comes to filing for bankruptcy, there are various fees involved. Some people worry that they will not be able to afford these fees. Luckily, there are some options. Depending on your situation, you may be eligible to obtain a fee waiver. Read on to learn more about fee waivers for those filing for Chapter 7 bankruptcy in New York.

Do I Qualify for a Chapter 7 Fee Waiver?

In order to determine whether you are qualified for a fee waiver, you will first have to file for Chapter 7 bankruptcy. You will also have to provide proof that you will be unable to pay the necessary fees. Additionally, you will have to provide proof that your combined family income is less than 150% of the poverty line and that you are an individual and not a business. In order to obtain this proof, you should reach out to an experienced bankruptcy attorney.

How Do I Apply for a Fee Waiver?

To apply for the fee waiver, you will have to fill out the Form 103B Application to Have the Chapter 7 Filing Fee Waived. Some of the information required in the application includes your combined family income, cash on hand, your monthly expenses (bills, etc.), your bank accounts, family size, personal property, and any real estate or property you own. You may have to disclose whether you have filed for bankruptcy within the last eight years, as well as whether you’ve paid an attorney or another party for assistance in your bankruptcy filing.

After you have applied for a Chapter 7 fee waiver, there are three potential outcomes:

  • The court may grant you the fee waiver
  • The court may decide that you and your attorney should attend a hearing to prove that you require this waiver
  • The court may deny the waiver and set up a payment schedule for you to pay off the filing fee

To ensure that your application includes all necessary information and is filed correctly, you should reach out to an experienced attorney. Our firm is here to walk you through the process every step of the way. Reach out today to speak with a skilled and dedicated bankruptcy attorney.


Michael D. Pinsky, P.C. represents clients in bankruptcy actions and related matters. Please call 845-394-2616 or contact the firm online to schedule a consultation.

Read Our Recent Blog
View More